When writing by hand do you prefer to use a pencil or pen?
Probably pencil since it has an eraser but due to past carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis my handwriting is illegible. My handwriting could be the but of those doctor handwriting jokes. Back when doctors used to write paper prescriptions. In New York doctors usually no longer write paper prescriptions as per a New York State Law requiring all prescriptions to be submitted directly to the patients pharmacy via computer.
Would you rather be an amazing dancer or an amazing singer?
Dancer. I admire the Nicholas Brothers, Gregory Hines and Savion Glover.
If you were on a debate team, what subject would you relish debating?
That’s a difficult question to answer. I used to be good at public speaking because it was a requirement of my previous job. Now you could not get me up on a podium unless you paid me $1 Million dollars. Nerves, anxiety and panic attacks would have me running off the stage, then again that would make a good topic, “Why I suck at public speaking.”
The only other subject I could discuss without appearing to be a complete idiot or fool would be on the subject of Autism, my relationship with my brother Stephen and Why Adult Siblings of Autistic Adults Matter. Autism programs, services and organizations only cater to parents and once the parents are deceased and the individual with Autism is an Adult you are forgotten as well as the needs of Adult Siblings which are not addressed. There is a serious Lack of Support Services for Adult Siblings trying to take of their developmentally disabled siblings. My Life is a constant Struggle.
What are you a “natural” at doing?
Writing and photography.
Optional Bonus question: What are you grateful for from last week, and what are you looking forward to in the week coming up?
Warm weather. Looking forward to my vacation next month and summer.
With your answers, please remember we are in the SYW world which may not always match our reality.
What is your favorite part of the town/city you live in. And what Country do you live?
I Love New York City. The energy!! The Vibe! Not always the weather but I Love New York for the diversity and variety of activities. Many of these activities are FREE!! NYC has many services for the poor, disabled and needy. Also the availability of transportation. Pretty much the buses and subways run 24/7/365. I don’t drive anymore because of my eyesight. If I Lived in the country I’d be stuck in the house because I’d have to wait on somebody to take me out. So Boring.
Would you rather wear clown shoes every day or a clown wig every day?
Wig. My walking is labored because of arthritis so if I had to wear Clown Shoes I’d be tripping and falling constantly.
Which way does the toilet paper roll go? Over or under?
What do you do to make a living or during the day? If you are retired what mostly occupies your day? Or if you are a student what are you studying?
I’m a writer/photographer who during the day masquerades as a museum security guard. Looking forward to retiring in Autumn 2018!!
Bonus question: What are you grateful for from last week, and what are you looking forward to in the week coming up?
The ability to Blog. I’ve been sick for at least the last few weekends and two days last week but at least I was able to Blog. I look forward to getting better. Hopefully.
The Sassy Sexy Irreverent One has made her way back to the Writing Blogosphere after a very brief hiatus!!
Still suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune despite all ills, aches and pains the Queen has made her way back to her Throne!! In the guise of Blue Spider Woman and with extra assistance from the Nubian Ninja D-Nice is back in the House!! Three Cheers for her Ladyship!! Hip! Hip! Hooray!!
Are you a night owl or are you the early bird? What’s your most productive time of day? When do you do your best work?
I have chronic insomnia so I guess I’m a Night-owl. For a long time I named myself the Midnight Marauder! I have no idea whether my insomnia is due to menopause hormonal changes, job related stress or just plain aging. Many of my co-workers and friends who are in their 50s or 60s report needed less sleep or being unable to sleep through the night so maybe sleeplessness is just a by product of getting older.
I think I’m also part Vampire because I always want to sleep during the day and stay up at night! However thanks to my U.S. Army training I still wake up early which is a good thing. I’m never late for work.
I do my best writing at either dusk or dawn. The period between wake-fullness and sleep provides me the most and best inspiration. As for my photography that is a daytime activity. For safety reasons I usually don’t go walking around the city at night taking photos. However in places that are well policed with lots of people like 34th Street Penn Station or other major hubs then I will whip out my camera.
Deborah A. Palmer
Senior Security Officer 1/2008 to present
Metropolitan Museum of Art
• Protect Artwork and ensure the safety of galleries and visitors.
• Assist visitors and staff with directions to specific galleries and art objects
• Enforce rules and regulations of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Research Manager 7/1994 to 12/2006
United Way of New York City
• Developed short and long term research strategies and objectives in collaboration with staff, offering input to sources of data and the development of program timelines.
• Assisted with the development of grant proposals and reports.
• Provided comprehensive—industry, individual and corporate profiles and research data.
• Identified prospects for special giving initiatives and events.
• Ensured that research data is properly maintained in the Andar Fund Management application.
• Developed and maintain standardized formats for presentation of customized research outcomes to the requestors.
• Evaluated supplementary research resources and applications.
United Way of New York City
• Market and promote the CARES (Community Access to Resources) database by conducting product demonstrations for both internal and external constituents.
• Conduct CARES Trainings at Human Resources Administration Job Sites.
• Prepare specialized reports and label requests for both in-house and external clients, utilizing CARES, the Internet and LexisNexis research databases.
• Conduct Internet training for United Way staff development.
• Responsible for the creation and updating of an Internet/Netscape Navigator guidebook for staff use.
President 10 /93 to 7/94
A Word In Season, Inc.
• Word-processing and Desktop Publishing business, meeting the administrative and computer needs of cultural and community based institutions and organizations.
• Co-partner with DND (Dreams Never Die) to provide computer software instruction.
Marketing Associate Assistant 1/90 to 10/93
• Responsible for marketing and sales presentation support for Marketing, Fixed Income and Equity departments.
• Administrator of the ClienTrak Database Sales Support System.
• Responsible for creating and updating graphs used in the Quarterly Reports to clients and for interoffice use.
Promotions Assistant/List Coordinator 1/82 to 12/89
• Consolidated and centralized the subscription list by converting manual data to a computerized format.
• Generated printouts for staff research; reports and labels for the Advertising department. Oversaw the maintenance of the Subscription List.
• Worked with three copywriters in the preparation and management of special monthly sections for the magazine including: Food Digest, Carolyn Davis Buy-Words, and the Cleaning Section.
• Served as alternate Typographer utilizing the Agfa Compugraphic MCS/PowerView 10.
BA – Marymount Manhattan College – Major: English
US Army – November 1977 to November 1981